Information for School Board Trustees
Questions and Answers:
What are the qualifications to run for the office of school board trustee?
To run for any of the four school boards, a person must be:
- a Canadian citizen
- at least 18 years of age
- a resident within the jurisdiction of the board and eligible to vote for the school board
- not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office
Who cannot be a candidate for school board trustee?
The following people are disqualified from being elected as a school board trustee or from holding office on any school board:
- A municipal clerk, treasurer, deputy-clerk or deputy-treasurer of any municipality within the area of jurisdiction of the school board except those on an unpaid leave of absence
- Any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality
- An inmate serving a sentence in a penal or correctional institution
- A member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations. Proof of resignation must be provided by the close of nominations
- A candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement(s) in the last municipal election or by-election
- An employee of a school board who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence or resigned. Employees of any school boards (including supply teachers) are disqualified from being elected as school board trustee or from holding office on any school boards, except during a leave of absence. The employee must be on a leave of absence before filing their nomination paper. They must provide the Town clerk with documentation showing that they have taken the leave of absence and the effective date
Where can I get more information on being a school board trustee?
- Notice of Nomination - Municipal and School Board Trustee Positions
- 2018 Candidates' Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections
In which school boards' jurisdiction is Iroquois Falls located in?
- District School Board Ontario North East (English-Public School Board)
- Northeastern Catholic District School Board (English-Separate School Board)
- Conseil Scolaire Public du Nord-Est de l’Ontario (French-Public School Board)
- Conseil Scolaire Catholique de District des Grandes Rivieres (French-Separate School Board)